Or to put it in a more simple way: What does it take to have a perfect summer?
Total: a few months
- friends, the more the merrier, as long as everyone is on the same page
- free weekends
- a (big) car that can fit in everything and everyone
- a few surfboards
- a surf guide, an access to wave reports and forecast, some sort of navigation system can be helpful (otherwise just follow the stars)
- cameras (of all kinds)
- camping gear (essentials only, although people might have different ideas about what ‘essential’ means)
- food, don’t forget food, you don’t want people to get hungry at any point in time
- (preferably) sunny & hot weather and heaps of waves
- ideas, hundreds of them (and not all of them have to be good)
- a good level of spontaneity
- desire to explore
- music (a few tropical dance songs, like this one for example, are a must!)
- a pink hula hoop
- chocolate (with big nuts)
- sunscreen & zinc
- Leave any problems at home.
- Pack your bag(s) and your surfboard(s), estimate time and place of departure, be creative when loading the car, and go.
- North or South, East or West. Don’t worry, the destination will reveal itself as you go.
- Have fun, laugh, sing, dance, paddle hard, laugh some more, eat, sleep, surf, repeat, explore, laugh again. And don’t worry about the time (but make sure you are back at work on Monday morning).
Photos (mostly) by Janez Mikec.